Inclusion Support Grants
The Inclusion Support Program makes grant funding and technical assistance available to licensed early childhood service providers in North Dakota who care for children with special needs ages birth through 12 years old.
The program is designed to help home and center-based providers create and maintain an inclusive environment that supports children with disabilities or developmental delays to learn, grow, play, and develop alongside their classmates in a natural setting.
Any licensed or self-declared early childhood service provider, or those in the process of licensing can apply for grant funding through the Inclusion Support Program.
Grant funding can be used for these purposes:
- Supporting staff needs (Up to $15,000/biennium)
- Modifying a childcare setting to accommodate children with diverse abilities and needs (building ramps, widening doors, etc.) - (Up to $5,000 of one-time funding).
- Buying items such as sensory equipment or computer equipment and software for children with special needs (Up to $1,000 unless there is a specific demonstrated need for a higher award).
How to Apply
Applications are now being accepted on a rolling basis.
Grant application forms and complete information is available at http://www.nd.gov/dhs/services/childcare/inclusion.html
Who Can Apply
Licensed and self-declared early childhood service providers can apply.
- Childcare centers and school-age programs
- Preschool programs
- Family and group child care homes
- Self-declared homes
Providers in the process of licensing may also apply.
Providers need to complete the following tasks before applying for the program.
- Parent or guardian obtain and provide a letter from a child’s therapist, physician, or other health care provider outlining the need for additional support. Service Provider Letter of Support template.
- Work with a child’s parents and an inclusion specialist to create a care plan for each child in care with special needs.
Inclusion Technical Support Consultation
Technical support from an experienced inclusion specialist is also available through the Inclusion Support Program at no cost to early childhood service providers.
An inclusion specialist can provide:
- Educational resources
- Connections to community resources
- On-site observation
- Helpful strategies on maintaining an enriching setting for children
Contact an Inclusion Specialist:
1-800-997-8515 (press 5)